Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sweetwater Center for the Arts


Last night's artists' reception at Sweetwater Center for the Arts was fun. Being in a show of self-portraits is a unique experience -- Usually at a group show, you can detach yourself from your work a little, keep your anonymity, stand back, and observe people seeing your painting without them knowing you are the artist. The work is on display, but unlike with a performing art like theater or dance, you are usually not on display too -- Your work stands apart from you, hopefully fending for itself.

A show of self-portraits is a much more outgoing thing, because you are recognizable in your artwork. I was nervous at first, but it ended up being a great experience! Many people approached me about my painting, and I received a lot of positive feedback. I enjoyed meeting everyone - It was really fun putting myself out there like that!

Here is a nice review of the show in the Sewickley Patch. I was excited that my painting gets mentioned in it...

2 comments:

Kate.Stoltzfus said...

Congrats on the show, Sonja! And I am not surprised that you painting was mentioned in the article. It is breathtaking!

Sonja said...

Thanks so much, Kate!! :)