Monday, March 30, 2009

Happy birthday, Vincent Van Gogh!


Today is the birthday of my first favorite artist, Vincent Van Gogh (born March 30, 1853).  His colors and his life have been a significant influence on me.   

As a birthday tribute, here are some snippets from his prolific letter-writing that I've paired with some of his paintings:


One must work and dare if one really wants to live.



Love many things, for therein lies true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well.



If one is master of one thing and understands one thing well, one has at the same time, insight into many things.



I feel that there is nothing more truly artistic than to love people.



Conscience is a man's compass.



But I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things.



For my part I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

1 comment:

ved p. sandip said...

thanks for this post!


my belated happy birthday to late mr. vincent van gogh too!

he was and he is a great painter!




.