Sunday, April 11, 2010

Escape Pgh - Miller Gallery

Yesterday morning we went to see the Carnegie Mellon 2010 MFA Thesis Exhibition, Escape Pgh, at the Regina Miller Gallery in the Purnell Center for the Arts at Carnegie Mellon University. It is an impressive exhibit of six MFA graduates - Brian Brown, Amanda Long, Leslie McAhren, Gian Carlos Silva de Jesus, Jonathan Trueblood, and Derk Wolmuth.


I liked it all, but what resonated with me most were Brian Brown's large-scale painted collages of narrative imagery.

In the printed program, Brown says, "When I start a painting, I start with a scene in mind that I don't want to forget. I start the telling, and the painting - like a good lie - ceases to make sense really, but maybe I'm holding your attention with charismatic confidence and bright colors."

He's got our attention. Here is a link to his flikr site: Link

No comments: